Rat Prevention Tips to Use at Home
It’s important to take action as soon as possible to prevent damage and potential health risks.
Here are some rat prevention tips you can deploy at home:
- Identify and seal entry points: Inspect your home thoroughly to identify any openings or gaps that rats could use to enter. Rats can fit through small holes, so seal them with steel wool or caulk. Pay attention to the gaps around pipes, vents, doors, and windows.
- Remove potential food sources: Rats are attracted to food, so ensure that all food is stored in sealed containers, including pet food! Keep your kitchen clean and don’t leave food out overnight. Regularly empty and clean garbage cans, and consider using bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Remove clutter: Rats love hiding in cluttered areas, so declutter your home, both indoors and outdoors. Remove piles of wood, debris, or other materials that can provide shelter for rats.
- Set traps: Traps can be an effective step in rat prevention. Snap traps are commonly used and should be placed in areas where rats are active, such as along walls or near entry points. Bait the traps with peanut butter or other high-protein foods.
- Use rodenticides cautiously: If traps aren’t effective or the infestation is severe, you may consider using rodenticides. However use them with caution, as they can be harmful to humans, household pets, and wildlife. Read and follow the instructions carefully, and place the bait in secure bait stations to prevent accidental ingestion.
If you’re unable to control the rat population on your own or if the tips provided were unsuccessful, it’s best to seek professional pest control services. Call the professionals of 1st Pest Control. We service the Greater Vancouver Area for rodents, ants, wasps, silverfish, cockroaches, bedbugs and more
Check out this infographic to help make your home rat free!
Check out our youtube channel for informative pest control videos